Couple rescued from flat fire in Lancing

Firefighters helped to rescue and elderly couple from Porchester

Firefighters helped to rescue and elderly couple from Porchester

0
Have your say

A couple were rescued by firefighters yesterday after a fire broke out in the living room of their second floor flat in Lancing.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service was called to the three-storey block of flats on Brighton Road just before 2pm yesterday afternoon (November 5) after the occupant of a neighbouring flat heard the smoke alarm activating and raised the alarm.

A fire crew from Shoreham attended within seven minutes of the 999 call and was followed swiftly by a fire crew from Worthing a minute later.

The first firefighters at the scene entered the smoke-logged flat after finding an unconscious lady in the opened doorway of the property. She was immediately carried down the stairs and out to fresh air and was given oxygen therapy by the crew.

The woman’s husband, who returned to the flat shortly before the arrival of the crew, had managed to move his wife out of the living room but sustained minor burns to his hands trying to extinguish the fire. He was subsequently assisted from the property by firefighters and taken to hospital.

The woman received treatment for mild smoke inhalation from South East Coast Ambulance at the scene but did not go to hospital.

The fire, which is believed to have started accidentally from smoking materials, was contained to the living room and extinguished quickly by firefighters using a hose reel.

Mark Ross, watch commander of the first crew to arrive at the scene, said: “Fortunately, the occupiers escaped serious injury, thanks to the presence of a smoke detector and also to the brave actions the man took before we arrived. We would never recommend trying to tackle a fire yourself. Our advice to the public is to get out, stay out and call us out.

“Fires started by smoking materials can be deadly. We’d urge smokers to make sure cigarettes are properly extinguished once you have finished and to avoid smoking if you are tired or have been drinking.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.worthingherald.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Worthing.news

3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Worthing Herald - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.