Homeless Worthing man burned after duvet set alight

0
Have your say

A HOMELESS man’s duvet was set on fire as he slept in Worthing.

The callous act happened just after 1am today (Thursday, March 24) in a seafront shelter in Marine Parade.

The homeless man awoke to find his duvet smouldering and immediately called police.

He was taken to Worthing Hospital where he was treated for superficial burns.

Detective Inspector Trevor Bates said: “This was a cowardly act on an unsuspecting victim.

“Luckily, the man was wearing several layers of clothing and this no doubt prevented him from receiving serious burns.”

Police said witnesses saw three teenage boys were seen loitering near the area and are appealing for anyone who may have seen them prior to the incident to please get in contact.

A burnt toilet roll was also recovered at the scene.

Contact Sussex Police on 0845 60 70 99 quoting serial 0050 of 24/3 or anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.