Fence must be taken down after second refusal

WH 090115 15 Wyke Avenue, Worthing. Retrospective application for front garden fence rejected after residents complained. Photo by Derek  Martin
WH 090115 15 Wyke Avenue, Worthing. Retrospective application for front garden fence rejected after residents complained. Photo by Derek Martin

A SECOND attempt to gain planning permission for a controversial front garden fence failed to convince planners last week.

The owner of the property, in Wyke Avenue, had seen his retrospective application for the wooden fence rejected last month.

He returned to Worthing planning committee last Wednesday with plans to mask the fence by planting a hedge.

Jamie Dobson, the owner, had hoped the change of plan would give him 12 months for the hedge to begin screening the fence, to reduce its impact to the conservation area.

But the committee were unconvinced.

“Officers still form the view that the fence is unacceptable,” said planning officer Gary Peck.

“However, if it is refused then the next stage is enforcement action. The applicant has offered a solution that may or may not work. It’s difficult to say.”

The committee were recommended to hold off any enforcement action for 12 months to judge the effect of any hedging.

Councillor Diane Guest spoke in favour of the plan but the committee declined to do so.

Chairman Joan Bradley said: “I’m so disappointed to see these fences going up over this town.

“It’s becoming like the wild west, expecting Indians to jump out and fire bows and arrows at you.

“Wouldn’t it be much nicer if we saw some hedges rather than these dreadful fences.”

The committee rejected the application and instructed the council’s enforcement team to take action to ensure the fence was taken down as soon as possible.