QUICK-WORKING firefighters stopped a field fire moments before it was about to set light to a row of back gardens in Sompting.
At around noon today (Wednesday), firefighters were called to a blaze in a field at the top of Halewick Lane, which adjoins back gardens in Howard Road.
Flames soared above six feet high and within minutes tore through the field, burning one man’s shed and coming within inches of reaching other people’s gardens.
The blaze was put out by firefighters who were praised by residents living in Howard Road.
For the full story, reaction from neighbours and pictures, read the Lancing Herald tomorrow, Thursday, September 6.