Firefighters called after electrical fault in Worthing hospital mortuary

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS were called to reports of a fire at Worthing Hospital’s mortuary last night (Wednesday, January 15).

A smoking refrigeration unit was the cause of the incident, reported at 9.40pm.

Fire at Worthing Hospital mortuary last night. SUS-150115-114711001

Fire at Worthing Hospital mortuary last night. SUS-150115-114711001

Firefighters used carbon dioxide fire extinguishers to quickly address the incident and moved the unit out into the open air.

The mortuary was then ventilated.

Fire chief Roy Barraclough said: “Anything at the hospital is taken very seriously because of the potential need for evacuation but this was a fairly small fire .

“We wore breathing apparatus and Co2 fire extinguishers to put the fire out. “

A spokesman from the hospital confirmed the incident was caused by an electrical fault.

He said: “Smoke generated from an electrical fault with a piece of equipment not in use triggered our fire alarm on Wednesday evening.

“The unit was quickly isolated and removed from the building, and no patients, other equipment or services were affected.”