Leaders face further council budget cuts

Neil Parkin and Paul Yallop outside Worthing Town Hall
Neil Parkin and Paul Yallop outside Worthing Town Hall

Adur and Worthing council leaders have vowed to protect frontline services in the face of further cuts to their budget.

Last week’s spending review saw the chancellor announce a further ten per cent cut in local government funding, despite claiming the economy was “moving out of intensive care.”

Worthing Borough Council leader Paul Yallop said: “We will do our best to shield the public from the cuts but it may mean we have to do things differently.

“It is disappointing to see other councils around the country cutting services and blaming the government.

“Unfortunately the country is in trouble financially and we cannot simply keep growing our debt.”

When asked about the possibility of more job losses Mr Yallop insisted the council would do its best to avoid compulsory redundancies by taking on less staff and offering voluntary deals.

Mr Yallop spoke about the need to be “more modern and more like the private sector.”

He said: “We cannot just stick with this 1970s way of working.”

For full story see the Worthing Herald, out Thursday, July 4.