DCSIMG

Dog badly injured by fish hooks on Goring beach

Olli the dog with Michelle Fumagalli, daughter of Andrew and Lynda

Olli the dog with Michelle Fumagalli, daughter of Andrew and Lynda

A couple whose dog required emergency surgery after it swallowed fish hooks on a Goring beach want to raise awareness of the dangers of an “unrecognised” fishing technique.

Andrew and Lynda Fumagalli, of Chelwood Avenue, Goring, were walking their five-year-old golden retrievers Olli and Dylan along a beach between Goring Gap and Sea Lane, Ferring, over the Christmas period, when they noticed Olli yelping.

Upon further inspection, they found that Olli had swallowed fishing bait and two hooks, which were attached to a long line that stretched across the shoreline, and which was unattended.

After untangling it, they rushed to Grove Lodge Vets, in Broadwater Street West, Broadwater, where Olli was x-rayed.

The problem was then referred to the Royal Vetinary College, in Potters Bar, London.

Vets managed to remove one hook by using an endoscope but the second required surgery, leaving Olli in intensive care until Boxing Day.

For the full story, see the Worthing Herald, out today (Thursday, January 10).

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page