DCSIMG

Man chokes to death on his birthday

A RETIRED banker died after choking on a piece of meat at his own 60th birthday party, an inquest heard.

Bachelor Richard Porter of the Warren, in Ferring, invited friends for a meal at the Highdown Vineyard in Littlehampton Road on February 2.

During the meal, he began having difficulty breathing and one of the guests, a nurse, tried to remove food from his airway.

Paramedics arrived and managed to remove a large piece of meat from his throat.

He started breathing again and was rushed to Worthing Hospital, but died two days later on February 4.

Ambulance staff said he had suffered a cardiac arrest.

The inquest heard that Mr Porter had had a stroke in his early 40s which caused him to have difficulty swallowing at times.

Speaking at the inquest at Centenary House in Durrington last Wednesday, assistant coroner for West Sussex Dr Karen Henderson said Mr Porter had been somewhat frail and had a history of medical problems related to his diabetes.

Mr Porter suffered from clogged arteries and heart disease which may have contributed to his death

A post-mortem examination at worthing Hospital on February 6 revealed the cause of death was as a lack of oxygen to the brain caused by choking.

Dr Henderson recorded a verdict of accidental death.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page