MP Nick Gibb has urged the Government to resume the annual dredging of Aldingbourne Rife to help prevent flooding in the future.
Speaking in the House of Commons on Thursday, the Bognor Regis and Littlehampton MP said it had been a mistake to stop the Aldingbourne Rife’s annual dredging nearly 20 years ago.
He added: “June, 2012, saw 350 homes flooded in Bognor Regis and Littlehampton, and it is becoming increasingly clear that the decision to stop dredging the Aldingbourne Rife was a contributing factor to that flooding.”
Mr Gibb then asked if parliamentary under-secretary Dan Rogerson would urge the Environment Agency to reinstate the practice.
In response, Mr Rogerson said a study was being undertaken on whether dredging and other measures were ‘appropriate’ and would be ready in the summer.
Mr Rogerson added that he would be happy to meet Mr Gibb to discuss the issue further.