DCSIMG

No sandbags for homes at risk of flooding

THERE is no council stockpile of sandbags for public use, it emerged this week, at a time when homes in Lancing are at serious risk of flooding.

Neither the district council nor the county council are providing sandbags to protect homes.

Gardens and garages on the estate had become waterlogged for the first time last week, when a senior drainage officer at Adur Council issued an ‘unprecedented’ warning to householders that their homes may flood over the weekend.

The officer urged residents to ensure they had ‘taken all the necessary precautions to protect themselves’ from high groundwater, rising tides and forecast heavy rain.

He wrote “I have a horrible feeling that something that only affected the private road will now escalate and cause actual property flooding.”

Vice president of West Beach Community Association, Geoff Patmore, admitted he was unsure of what the emergency response would be if houses actually started to flood.

“It’s a nightmare. We are living under constant threat,” said Mr Patmore.

Fortunately for residents, their homes were once again spared at the weekend.

As of Monday evening, Mr Patmore said he had not yet heard from Adur Council or West Sussex County Council about their ‘action plans’.

A county-council spokesman confirmed that sandbags were not being made readily available to residents.

n Has your property been affected by the flooding?

Write to us at letters@worthingherald.co.uk

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page