DCSIMG

Residents pleased as homes plan rejected

editorial image

editorial image

Ferring residents are claiming victory for now, after a plan to build nine family homes “in the heart of the village” was rejected by the Arun District Council.

When the application was submitted in August, people living near to the site claimed it would “ruin” their quality of life.

But the proposal for the four-bedroom homes and 27 car parking spaces on the site of numbers 32 and 34 Sea Lane was rejected on Tuesday last week, before reaching the development control committee stage.

Heather Wadham, of Park Lane, whose garden backs onto the site, said everybody was “very pleased” at the news. However, she feared this would not be the end of the story.

“Obviously, you know with these kind of things, refusal doesn’t mean the whole thing has gone for good,” she said.

“But for now we are reservedly pleased, and will remain vigilant in case anything else is submitted.”

Planning officers’ reasons for refusing the proposal at the first stage included that: “The site, by virtue of its size and shape, is considered unsuitable to accommodate nine dwellings and private amenity space satisfactorily without damaging the character of this established residential area.”

“The proposal does not make provision for adequate visibility at the junction of the access (road) with the public highway.”

When the Herald covered the story in August, residents said they were concerned about the impact of the development on traffic, and also birds and animals’ natural habitats.

Ed Miller, secretary of Ferring Conservation Group, said: “It gives notice to developers that they can’t just parachute in and build nine houses in people’s gardens.

“It almost sets a reverse precedent that building in gardens is not acceptable.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page