Lucky escape for Worthing family after fire

A WORTHING family had a lucky escape after a fire gutted the home they had only moved into two days before.

The house in Chandos Road was fitted with two smoke alarms but neither worked because they were without batteries.

Two crews from Worthing Fire Station were called to the fire at 1.30am on Sunday (March 6). The fire was in a first floor bedroom but fortunately the occupiers, two adults and a three-year-old child, had managed to escape before they arrived.

Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire with two hose reels, and crews then used a powerful ventilation fan to clear the smoke once the fire had been extinguished. The house suffered extensive fire, heat and smoke damage.

The woman suffered smoke inhalation and was given oxygen by the fire service, before being taken to Worthing Hospital by ambulance.

The family had only moved in two days previously and didn’t have any batteries in either of their smoke alarms. The cause of the fire is currently being investigated by a Fire Investigation Officer.

Watch Commander Darren Wickings said: “This family had an incredibly lucky escape, as the house was filled with thick, black, toxic smoke. Both smoke alarms weren’t working and this incident could have easily been one with a loss of life.

“Please ensure you have a working smoke alarm and test it regularly. Further advice is available through our Home Fire Safety Check scheme, please call 0800 3286487.”