This week, Kim Woodley, from the Rotary Club of Worthing, gives an update on the latest and future goings-on.
Rotary clubs are always pleased to learn about new initiatives that help our local community and last week, during Worthing Rotary Club’s lunch meeting, we had an extremely interesting and informative talk about art psychology.
The leader of this wonderful organisation is Justine Van der Weg, who runs The Arts College in Worthing.
She explained that art psychology is a new area of study focusing on how a child’s brain grows and develops emotionally and socially in the home.
With regular classes in Worthing we heard that a child walks into one of her art classes and thinks they are attending a standard class, but where this is different is that it is not an ‘arts and craft’ styled lesson.
She helps children to be able to draw and paint in proportion successfully using a step-by-step method – e.g. in a traditional school environment a student has a shoe placed in front of them is simply told to ‘draw what they see’.
This can cause anxiety but Justine is able to offer support.
When a person struggles in their artwork she supports them technically in their drawing.
This makes them feel relaxed and builds trust in themselves.
Something shifts and triggers their thinking enabling them to feel they can do this.
It teaches them to break down problems into smaller bits that they can cope with.
Once the artwork is completed a facilitator assesses the art piece and the journey the child took on each step to complete the project.
If you are interested in finding out more then see the website or call 01903 529633.
If you’d like to join our Rotary club for one of our lunchtime meetings, when we have a wide range of speakers, do call us and arrange to come along to one of our Monday meetings.
We would love to welcome you.
Details of Worthing’s three Rotary clubs are:
• Worthing Rotary Club meets Monday, 12.55pm, at the Chatsworth Hotel, in The Steyne, Worthing, 01903 209564.
• West Worthing Rotary Club meets Tuesday evening at Tudor Close, Ferring, 01903 501961.
• Worthing Steyne Rotary Club meets Monday evening at The Ardington Hotel, in Steyne Gardens, Worthing, 07788 638757.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.worthingherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Worthing.news
3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Worthing Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.