IN this week’s Herald we have the story of a severely disabled man, left outraged after being told he needs to be reassessed for work.
Mark Saunders, of Oakleigh Close, Worthing, requires life-saving haemo-dialysis treatment three times a week.
After being diagnosed with diabetes 10 years ago, he now has only one leg and is partially sighted.
Now the 41-year-old fears his benefits may be slashed after he received a letter from Jobcentre Plus last week inviting him to a discussion about improving his employability, so he may be fit for work at a later date.
Mark said: “Surely it should be clear that I cannot work, as much as I would like to, no matter what I do to my CV.
“I understand the government needs to find money from somewhere but I think it is all getting a bit ridiculous. They want to try to cut my benefits.”
Although Jobcentre Plus has measures in place where the person can be visited at home, Mark said he had not been offered this service.
A spokesperson for the Department of Work and Pensions said: “We are reforming the welfare system to ensure no-one is left trapped on benefits.
“People who are too sick or disabled will continue to receive our unconditional support, but those who are able to work will get specialist help through the Work Programme.
“Anyone who disagrees with their assessment can appeal and present further evidence.
“Jobcentre Plus specialist advisers help people prepare for work, and extra support to get to Jobcentres or alternative arrangements for interviews are available in exceptional circumstances.”
Do you think welfare reforms are fair?
Have your say by clicking on the poll at the top right of this story.
To read the full interview with Mark pick up your copy of the Worthing Herald, out today (Thursday, October 13).