An off-duty police officer raised the alarm after spotting a fire in a block of flats which required one resident to be rescued.
The incident at Clarence Court in Brighton Road, Worthing, happened at around 515pm on Saturday (November 17), which resulted in the block of flats being evacuated.
According to fire service, the 64 year old owner of the flat received emergency treatment at the scene. He was taken to Worthing Hospital and was reported as being in a stable condition.
The fire, which started accidentally in a kitchen, was contained to the third floor flat in which it started, which suffered extensive smoke damage.
Roy Barraclough, Deputy District Commander for Worthing and Adur said: ‘This is another serious fire where a smoke alarm has been fitted in the property but the battery has been removed - and the consequences could have been even worse than they are.
Please test your alarms to check they are in working condition - as smoke alarms save lives’
For full story, see this week’s Worthing Herald