UPDATE: Worthing town centre chip shop fire

TODAY’S fire at a Worthing chip shop started in the basement.

Firefighters were called to Blue Ocean, in South Street, at 10.43am today (Saturday, January 7).

No-one was injured in the blaze.

Manager Simon Yacin had been staying at the flat above the premises and was concerned it may take up to a month before they could re-open for business.

He said: “I don’t normally live there but I had been asleep in the flat upstairs and heard alarms going off.

“I went downstairs where staff had been opening up.

“There was smoke coming from the basement. It was a shock.”

Firefighters at the scene believed the fire was caused by leaking ducting in the basement.

Watch fire officer Ian Spawton said: “We had three appliances from Worthing attend and another one join from Lancing in the end in case the fire had spread.

“We believe the cause of it was from extraction ducting in the basement which feeds the frying machines in the main commercial premises above, which was not damaged.

“We were pleased with the time it took us to stop the fire, which was brought under control in around 25 minutes using a compressed air foam system.

“We did not know what to expect with it as we were entering a basement with only one way in and out and there were a lot of oils about and other stock which could have been a problem.”