VOTE: Ferring residents outraged at plan for nine homes

editorial image
11
Have your say

“THE heart of Ferring” could be “ruined” by plans to build nine new family homes.

That is the belief of village residents who this week banded together to express their devastation at the proposal, which was lodged with Arun District Council late last month.

If given the go ahead, the plan would see numbers 32 and 34 Sea Lane bulldozed and replaced with nine four-bedroom detached homes with parking for 27 cars.

Andrew and Heather Wadham live in Park Drive, where their back garden backs onto the access road the new homes would use.

“The destruction of our enjoyment of this garden and life would be dire,” said Andrew, 76.

“It’s causing a lot of sleepless nights and putting us in a great deal of uncertainty at a time of life when we should be able to enjoy the place.

“It’s out of character and out of scale for the space.”

The couple, who moved to Ferring 18 months ago, added they were also unhappy at the prospect of being overlooked by up to six properties.

In Glen Glardens, Paul and Jane Hayman said if the project goes ahead they will be forced to sell the bungalow they bought five years ago. “We bought this house for the privacy, which was very important to us, and now we will have people looking into 80 per cent of our garden and kitchen,” said Jane, 57.

Helen Smith’s bedroom will be just one-and-a-half metres from the proposed access road.

Arun district councillor for Ferring, Roger Elkins, has urged anybody else who is worried about the development to submit their views to the council. He said: “This is the heart of Ferring, and this will alter the character of this area.”

Comments must be submitted by August 30. To view the plans, visit www.arun.gov.uk and search FG/99/12.

To read the full story, see the Worthing Herald today (August 16).

What do you think?

Do you think the nine-house plan should be allowed to go ahead? Cast your vote in the poll to the right of the screen, and leave your comments below.