Warning issued after home chip pan catches fire

W21552H13 WH MIKE GLENNON AND POT HOLES PIC S.G. 16.05.2013''Mike Glennon and Pot Holes in Crabtree Lane Lancing ENGSUS00120130517085135
W21552H13 WH MIKE GLENNON AND POT HOLES PIC S.G. 16.05.2013''Mike Glennon and Pot Holes in Crabtree Lane Lancing ENGSUS00120130517085135

PEOPLE are being urged to take extra care when cooking with hot oil following two chip pan fires in the space of just three days.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue was called to a house in Crabtree Lane in Lancing at 6.10pm on Monday evening after a chip pan caught light on the kitchen hob.

This incident followed another chip pan fire at a bungalow in Selsey on Friday evening.

Both fires were extinguished quickly and none of the occupiers sustained injury, according the Fire and Rescue team.

Community fire safety officer, Jackie Boyle, said:

“Thankfully, both these fires were contained quickly but the outcome could have been far more serious.

“Pans filled with hot oil are potentially extremely dangerous so extra vigilance is needed.

“Leaving them unattended, even momentarily, is long enough for a fire to develop.

“The first line of defence against any fire is having a working smoke alarm.

“Getting that early warning to a developing fire is a proven life-saver.

“It also means that damage to your property can be kept to a minimum.

“Every home should have one.”

West Sussex Fire Rescue issued guidance on what to do if a pan catches fire.

A spokesperson said: “Never use water on a chip pan fire, this could cause a potentially lethal fireball; do not move it; turn off the heat if it’s safe to do so; do not use a fire extinguisher on a pan of oil and do not try and tackle a fire, get out and call 999.”

For more advice visit www.westsussex.gov.uk/fire