Worthing café gutted by chip pan blaze

Fire at the Istanbul Caf� in Worthing    PHOTO:Roger Frost SUS-150625-135154001
Fire at the Istanbul Caf� in Worthing PHOTO:Roger Frost SUS-150625-135154001

A CHIP pan blaze caused a significant amount of damage to a café in Worthing this morning (Thursday, June 25).

Two fire crews from town were called to the blaze at the Istanbul Café, in Heene Road, at 9.04am.

The scene of the fire  PHOTO: Roger Frost SUS-150625-135206001

The scene of the fire PHOTO: Roger Frost SUS-150625-135206001

The fire sparked in the ground floor kitchen, with smoke and heat combining to cause about 40 per cent damage to the premises.

Fire crews used four breathing apparatus, three high-pressure hoses, a water jet and two dry powder extinguish to quell the flames.

The also used a fan to clear the property of smoke.

One man suffered minor burns to his hand and was treated at the scene. He did not to be taken to hospital, a fire service spokeswoman said.

Firefighters also gave advice to the owners before leaving at 10.15am.