LAST week’s chip shop fire in Montague Street, Worthing, sparked one reader’s memory of this picture, taken of a shop fire in almost exactly the same place 40 years ago.
Ernest Barnes, 84, of Fircroft Avenue, Lancing, was the manager of Burton Tailoring on the corner of Montague Street around 40 years ago when a fire broke out in the neighbouring Wimpy restaurant.
Ernest sent his photograph to the Herald after reading about the fire which tore through Blue Ocean chip shop in the morning of Saturday, January 7. He said: “I remember hearing about the fire, grabbing my camera and running out of the door. I got there before the fire crews arrived and managed to take some great pictures. I can’t remember the exact date, but I named the picture Hot Dog, because of the plastic charity dog outside the door.”
Ernest, who has been a keen photographer for 60 years, added: “It must be only a few doors down from where last week’s fire was. I thought I would send it in because readers might be interested, history repeats itself sometimes!”