A FATHER-of-four says he was left with a mouthful of blood after biting into a pie at a Goring bakery.
Richard Martin, 47, from Worthing, said he felt a sudden sharp pain as something crunched against his tooth when he tucked into a pie at the Merry Miller, Goring Road, last Monday.
Mr Martin said he was panicked and scared as he feared the object could have been a shard of glass.
He said: “I was in horrible pain. I was scared, I didn’t know what I had bitten into.”
The sharp object, which Mr Martin guessed was bone, cut his gum and cracked his tooth, but at the time he had no idea how bad the injuries were.
Mr Martin had to get a stitch for his gum at the dentist on Friday and was advised to continue taking pain killers.
“I am still in pain and have to take pain killers,” Mr Martin said.
“I don’t know how something like this really could have happened.”
Mr Martin said the staff at The Merry Miller were polite and quick to give him tissues and a glass of water.
They said the pie sold to Mr Martin was supplied by Wrights Pies. The staff gave Mr Martin Wrights Pies phone number but he has not been able to get a response.
Mr Martin was concerned if a young or elderly person had eaten the pie, they could have swallowed and choked on the object.
“If I hadn’t noticed it, I could have swallowed it,” he said.
The incident has put Mr Martin off pies for life.
He said: “Eating pies was something I loved. But now they have taken that away.”
Wrights Pies declined to comment on the incident.