Rebels held to a draw at Sittingbourne

Will Berry went close to a late winner for Rebels away to Sittingbourne on Saturday
Will Berry went close to a late winner for Rebels away to Sittingbourne on Saturday
  • The draw sees Rebels eight points off Whyteleafe who occupy the final play-off spot
  • Worthing boss Adam Hinshelwood has been pleased with the imporovement in his side’s defending of late
Have your say

WORTHING Football Club fell eight points adrift of the Ryman League South Division play-off places after they were held to a scoreless draw at Sittingbourne on Saturday.

Rebels went into the game on the back of a 7-0 win at South Park in midweek but the game never really going going as it was played in windy conditions on a bobbly pitch.

Worthing boss Adam Hinshelwood took the positives from the point for his side and said: “I think we were the better side and, on another day, could have taken all three points.

“We have taken four points from two straight away games now and not conceded in either. The defence has been an area I have been looking to improve on, as I felt we were struggling in that position.

“In the last two games, our defending has been good and the two clean sheets show that.

“We had a couple of really good chances in the game and should have taken one. It just was not to be, though, and we will take the point.

“It’s just a case of us making sure that we end the season in the right manor now and build on the last two results we have picked up on the road.

“We just want to pick up as many points as possible in our remaining matches and who knows where we could end up.

“The aim is to pick up all three points at home to Hythe Town on Saturday.”

Worthing went close after just three minutes when Corey Heath’s header skimmed the bar from Brannon O’Neill’s corner.

Rebels keeper Jack Fagan twice denied Sittingbourne’s Harry Smith, before the visitors created a great opportunity when Harvey Sparks, Omar Bugiel and Lloyd Dawes all combined to set up Ben Pope but he blazed over from six yards.

The hosts then went close when Worthing failed to clear their lines and George Crimmen’s 20-yard shot struck the bar. At the other end, a excellent run down the left by Bugiel got him to the goal-line and he crossed for O’Neill, who hit the bar from six yards.

Fagan then denied Hicham Akhazzan in the last action of the first half.

The second half rarely got going and the best opportunity fell to Worthing with two minutes left when a corner was not cleared and Will Berry blasted over from six yards.

WORTHING: Fagan; Hendon, Heath, Hurley, Sparks; Lawley, Isaacs, O’Neill, Dawes; Pope, Bugiel. Subs: Berry (Heath), Rance (Pope), Smith (Dawes), Quirke.