United exit FA Cup in replay at Deal

Action from United's match with Deal on Saturday
Action from United's match with Deal on Saturday
Have your say

WORTHING United Football Club exited the FA Cup on Tuesday evening when they lost their replay 7-1 away to Kent side Deal Town.

After a scoreless draw on Saturday, United, who had several players unavailable, had two one-on-one opportunities early in the replay but Sam Blundell was tackled as he was about to shoot and Titus Paterson trod on the ball, which allowed the hosts to clear.

Deal went ahead after nine minutes when Ryan Philpott curled the ball home from the edge of the penalty area.

Connor Coyne made it 2-0 six minutes later and that was the way things stayed until half-time.

The Southern Counties East League side got a third midway through the second half when Charlie Walsh broke clear and set up Kristin Gregory to score.

Philpott made it 4-0, before Brad Short headed home a corner for the hosts’ fifth.

United got a goal back through a Sam Blundell penalty on 82 minutes, after Paterson was tripped by Deal keeper Chris Waymark.

Deal then struck twice more late on through Jack Tanner and Philpott, who completed his hat-trick.

United boss Nigel Geary said: “We had a lot of players unavailable, with no one able to come into the squad and we had four players from Saturday who couldn’t play through work commitments.

“We started off well and had two one-on-one chances but they then scored with a looped cross and got a quick second.

“We kept it tight until the hour when we pushed another man forward and they then scored two quick goals and it was all over, really.”

A hard-fought game on Saturday had finished scoreless.

The Mavericks had several players unavailable for the match but almost snatched the win in the final minute when Blundell broke through one-on-one but the Deal keeper was quick off his line to block the effort.

Blundell also went close in the first half, while Steve May shot just wide in the second period.

Deal’s main chances came from crosses into the box and United cleared a couple of efforts off the line.

Geary said: “We could have won on Saturday and had a couple of chances against a physical and tough Kent side, who played direct football.

“I couldn’t fault the way we battled.”

UNITED on Saturday: Grimstone; Tidey, Gilmour, Curnow, Elliot; Hayward, May, Schilt, Wotherspoon; Paterson, Blundell. Subs: Hunt (Schilt 60), Pawsey (Wotherspoon 65), Rose (May 80).

On Tuesday: Grimstone; Elliot, Gilmour, Curnow, Thompson; Hayward, Wotherspoon, Schilt, Pawsey; Paterson, Blundell. Sub: Geary.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at facebook.com/pages/Sport-Sussex

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!