Worthing told they must up their game

Matt Daniel
Matt Daniel

WORTHING Football Club’s management team have told their side they need to up their game.

Rebels had to settle for a point in an entertaining scoreless draw with Walton & Hersham on Tuesday night in a match joint manager Kieran Collins felt they could and should have won.

Rebels failed to find a break-through despite playing the majority of the last 30 minutes with an extra man after Chris Grayland picked up a straight red card for clipping Billy Medlock’s legs just outside the area as the striker ran through.

Despite a lot of pressure in the closing stages, Rebels failed to make the advantage count, and they had Spencer Slaughter sent off themselves for a late tackle on the near touchline in injury-time.

The result leaves Rebels 11th in the table, six points off the targeted play-offs, having played three more games than some teams around them.

Collins said: “Josh James, Matt Hurley, Nat (Hubert) and Spencer did a good job, but I thought, apart from that, the rest were poor.

“We’ve said to them that some of them have to go away and take a long, hard look at themselves and what they are here for as that wasn’t good enough. We want a reaction on Saturday (home to Chipstead) now.”

Collins added: “We knew what they came here to do. They went 4-5-1 , stuck as many men behind the ball as they could to try to pick up anything from a free kick or corner.

“We said we wanted a reaction from Saturday and we got that in the second half, but we haven’t done it for the whole 90 minutes, which is what we asked for.

“We said at half-time to be patient and the moment will come. The disappointing thing was we hit the post and had a couple of half-chances, but the final ball was poor, it was as though we were watching a completely different side.

“Hats off to Walton & Hersham, though, they came here to do a job and did it well.”

ebels made four changes from Saturday’s controversial 1-0 defeat at Crawley Down Gatwick with Jamie Brotherton, Steve Metcalf, Hubert and James coming into the starting line-up.

Straight from the off, a ball over Chris O’Flaherty’s head put Rebels in trouble and after the initial cross was not cleared, Connor French’s effort was stopped by James.

Kyle Merson, in the visitors goal, got an early touch as well as he got behind a stinging drive. James was again called into action in the 18th minute as he got a slight touch on French’s effort to turn it against the inside of the post.

Rebels had some moments of magic and good spells, but with little final product. Medlock managed to test Merson for the first time from a set piece with a stinging effort on 42 minutes, and the keeper gathered at the second attempt.

On 63 minutes, Walton were reduced to 10 men as Medlock ran across Grayland for seemingly a harsh red, but he was the last man right on the edge of the box. From the resulting free kick, Medlock’s effort took a big deflection but Merson managed to parry.

Rebels substitute Matt Daniel headed a looping effort onto the base of the post on 73 minutes, while moments later Brotherton fired across goal with Hubert inches away from turning it in.

Rebels had man-of-the-match Slaughter harshly sent off for a late tackle as both players went in committed in injury-time.