Fans left fuming by Freddie Starr show in Worthing

editorial image

COMEDIAN Freddie Starr has spoken out after fans criticised his comeback show in Worthing.

Freddie performed at the Pavilion Theatre on Thursday (October 20), but instead of rave reviews, some patrons walked out and demanded their money back.

The main criticism was the amount of time Freddie spent on stage, with the first half including a film, a performance by an unknown comedian and singing by a young woman with just a couple of appearances by the star of the show.

This week, Freddie spoke exclusively to the Herald to defend his show, stating those complaining were just after a “free dinner” and that he got a “standing ovation” at the end.

He said: “I did 20 minutes in the first half. I am not going to be on stage for two and a half hours. I did one and half hours in the second half.

“I have done more than 50 dates on tour and never have I had any complaints like we did in Worthing.”

He added: “In any show you are going to have support acts.”

Absolute flop

Steve O’Connor, 40, of Dominion Road, Worthing, was one of those who left the show early.

“In the first 40 to 45 minutes Freddie Starr was on stage for about five minutes,” Mr O’Connor said.

“It was just unbelievable. I was really looking forward to it and it was an absolute flop.”

Worthing Theatres

Gemma Nethersole, from Worthing Theatres, said: “We did have complaints from a few patrons who were disappointed by the warm-up acts in the first half of Freddie Starr’s show.

“These acts had been booked by the artistes’ management for the tour.

“Refunds were issued to those who did not wish to stay for the second half, during which Freddie Starr’s performance was enjoyed throughout with no further complaints.

“We would like to apologise to any members of the audience whose enjoyment of the show was affected.”