Tony Pudwell, a founder member of Arundel Museum, used his handicraft skills to build models of boats and ships associated with Arundel and the River Arun.
His model of the brigantine ‘Ebenezer’ was built in the 1980s.
Made of wood, its dimensions are: length – 55 cm; height – 48 cm and spar width – 16.5 cm.
The actual ‘Ebenezer’ was built as a brig at the May and Thwaites shipyard in Shoreham in 1860.
It became one of four ‘colliers’ owned by Banfield & Co, the Brighton based coal merchants.
In 1899, it was purchased by the Robinson family of Littlehampton.
Converted to a brigantine, it became the flagship of the company.
Between 1900 and 1915 she was a regular visitor to Arundel, delivering coal to the gasworks and timber to the shipyard.
On July 15, 1917, on a voyage to Dieppe with a cargo of coal, she was intercepted by a German submarine and scuttled using explosive charges.
A sad loss for its new owners, J. Hyland, Shoreham.