Accidental kitchen fire in Worthing caused by gas cooker.

A KITCHEN fire broke out in Worthing today (May 21) after a child knocked a ring on the cooker and turned on the gas.

The accidental fire in Elm Grove, Worthing, started at about 9am and was put out by firefighters using a hose and breathing apparatus.

A woman was taking her children to school, and when she got back a smoke alarm alerted her of the fire, so she called the fire brigade.

A spokesman from Worthing Fire Station said: “There were two units on the scene and we were there about an hour.

“As soon as she opened the door she was confronted by the smoke. There was minor damage to the kitchen. She was alerted to it when she heard her working smoke alarm.

“It’s nice because usually it’s the other way round.”