Advice to stay safe during bonfire season

'Be sensible during this year's fireworks and bonfire season', ambulance service urges
'Be sensible during this year's fireworks and bonfire season', ambulance service urges

THE AMBULANCE service is urging people to use common sense to stay safe during this year’s bonfire and fireworks season.

South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust (SECAmb) has today (Friday, October 31) issued advice to those wishing to celebrate the season.

It is asking that residents follow some simple safety tips and advice as well as using ‘common sense’ to keep themselves, their family and friends safe.

The trust is also advising people to attend professionally-organised events but if they celebrate at home to follow the safety tips below.

Top safety tips include:

. Never use petrol or other chemicals on a bonfire.

. Keep fireworks in a closed box away from children and use them one at a time.

. Read any instructions carefully using a torch if necessary.

. Never smoke around fireworks.

. Light fireworks at arm’s length with a taper and stand at a safe distance.

. Never return to a firework once it has been lit.

. Don’t put fireworks in pockets and never thrown them.

. Follow safety instructions if using sparklers.

. Drinking alcohol and lighting fireworks don’t mix.

. Consider whether younger children would prefer to watch fireworks from inside.

Steve Carpenter, SECAmb’s senior contingency planning and resilience manager, said: “It’s a fact that every year people get injured by fireworks. By following our safety advice a lot of these injuries can be avoided.

“Of course, we want people to have a good time and enjoy themselves but we’re urging them to stay safe and be sensible.

“Fireworks are dangerous and should be handled carefully. You really don’t want your evening to be spoiled by a trip to A&E in an ambulance.”

More information on firework safety can be found at The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents Safer Fireworks website.

For further safety advice from the fire service, click here.