Baby taken to hospital after fire in Worthing alleyway

Share this article

A FOUR-week-old baby was taken to hospital after a fire was deliberately started in Worthing.

The baby girl suffered smoke inhalation and was given first aid by crews from West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service.

Four fire appliances were needed to put out the fire in an alleyway in Tevile Road yesterday (June 20)

Firefighters were called at 5.37pm following reports a mattress and rubbish had been set alight in the alleyway near to the Wortax taxi rank.

Crew commander Smith, from Worthing Fire Station, said the fire had spread to a telegraph pole and two adjacent buildings.

He said “The fire had spread within the roof space of a disused gym and also a flat. The windows of the flat had blown out.”

The vacant building received 10 per cent fire damage, as did the flat, which is above a shop.