Fraudulent Worthing driving instructor sentenced
A Worthing man who falsely portrayed himself as a qualified driving instructor was sentenced to two-year conditional discharge by a court.
Anwar Hussain, 48, of Dawes Avenue, East Worthing, was sentenced for fraud by false representation, intending to make a gain, between March, 1 and September, 9 of last year.
He was sentenced at Worthing Magistrates Court on Monday, October 10, having been convicted in September.
Gaynor Byng, prosecuting, said there were a number of steps involved in becoming a qualified driving instructor.
She said Hussain had passed the initial two tests and was given a licence period of six months in which lessons could be given.
But he was unable to complete the third part, the court heard.
At a trial in September, two people who had paid for and received instruction by Hussain gave statements.
One witness, Miss Matthews, said she had been ‘cheated out of a lot of money’, the court heard.
Toby Brothers, defending, said Hussain had tried ‘again and again’ to pass the final part of the test before giving up.
He said the case was an ‘unusual matter’. He said: “Everyone that paid for them had lessons.
“One of the witnesses who came to court passed his test.”
He said Hussain had changed his career to become a driving instructor, having previously been in the restaurant business, which had ‘not gone well’, leaving him with debts.
He was now working with his wife at her child minding business and working at the weekends at a restaurant in Lancing.
He added that Hussain had had ‘a difficult time’ and became quite ill, suffering with depression.
Magistrate Chris Howard-Harris acknowledged that Hussain had been motivated to teach without the requisite qualification out of a desire to help his family out of their financial difficulties.
He said: “You were doing it with the best intentions, but it is still not right.”
He added that Hussain was ‘clearly a hardworking man’ who was of a previous good character.
He was ordered to pay £300 compensation to Miss Matthews and £15 victim surcharge on top of the two year conditional discharge.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.worthingherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Worthing.news
3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Worthing Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.