Homeless man set on fire in Worthing

Police are appealing for witnesses after a homeless man was set on fire in Worthing.

Monday, 7th November 2016, 3:34 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 5:05 pm
The 51-year-old was woken by his head and face being covered in flames

The man was burnt and had his rucksack stolen in the incident, a spokesperson for Sussex Police said.

At about 7am on Sunday, November 6 police received a call from the victim to report he had been set fire to while sleeping in the Royal Arcade.

“The 51-year-old was woken by his head and face being covered in flames and he saw a man running away with his rucksack,” the police spokesperson said.

His cheek, eye lids and head received minor injuries and he was treated by ambulance.

Detective sergeant Simon Smith said: “The victim tried to chase the man and described him as white, 20s and wearing a white hooded top.

“We have arrested a 38-year-old man on suspicion of robbery and he’s been bailed while we continue to investigate.

“We are appealing to anyone who might have been near the Royal Arcade early on Sunday morning or saw someone running away or acting suspiciously with a red backpack. Please get in touch if you can help us with our investigation.”

Members of the public are asked to report any information online to https://sussex.police.uk/contact-us/response-to-appeal/ quoting serial 273 of 06/11.