Dishwasher fire smokes out Worthing home

A dishwasher caught fire in a Goring home this afternoon, causing extensive damage to the property.

Monday, 30th May 2016, 5:44 pm
Updated Friday, 8th June 2018, 1:09 am
Fire crews removed the burnt out dishwasher from the building. Photo by Eddie Mitchell.

Fire crews were called to the town house in Mulberry Gardens at 3.10pm after neighbours smelt smoke and raised the alarm.

The appliance was quickly extinguished, but the open-plan home has been left with extensive smoke damage, acording to fire services.

The owners, who were not in the building when the fire started, arrived shortly before the fire service. Crews were on the scene just six minutes after the call out, with a third engine called in as a precaution but not used.

Three fire engines attended the scene in Mulberry Gardens. Photo by Eddie Mitchell.

Commander for Worthing Fire Station Roy Barraclough said: “It’s fairly unusual to have a fire in a dishwasher, but for whatever reason, there was a fault in the dishwasher while the owners were out and it caught fire.”

He warned residents not to leave electrical appliances such as dishwashers, tumble dryers and washing machines on overnight.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

Smoke caused extensive damage to the open-plan property. Photo by Eddie Mitchell.

1) Make our website your homepage at

2) Like our Facebook page at

3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Worthing Herald - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.