AN animal rescue officer has condemned the practice of putting down poison for animals after two foxes were found dead without any obvious injuries.
The animals were found dead on Sunday in neighbouring streets in East Worthing, after which Worthing And District Animal Rescue Service (WADARS) was notified.
However, the animal charity’s senior rescue officer, Billy Elliott, said there was no evidence at the moment the foxes were poisoned.
He said the pair’s deaths could have been caused by a number of things, including eating contaminated rats.
But Billy condemned the practice of laying down poison for animals as illegal and like “using a hammer to crack a nut”.
He said: “Putting down poison is illegal and won’t just affect foxes. It could affect anything from cats to dogs and hedgehogs. I do sympathise with people who have rabbits and guinea pigs, but the onus is on people to keep their animals secure from any type of predator.
“You have to see it from the foxes’ perspective. They don’t know where their next meal is going to come from and every day is a battle for survival.”
Billy also refuted claims foxes were a threat to cats and dogs, saying males usually weighed less than a stone.
He added: “Most cats are normally more than a match for foxes.”