Fire crew rescues man who left cooker on

LANCING LAST NIGHT  - LED TO SAFETY PELHAM RD LANCING. Photo by Eddie Mitchell 07771605974 SUS-161102-122440001
LANCING LAST NIGHT - LED TO SAFETY PELHAM RD LANCING. Photo by Eddie Mitchell 07771605974 SUS-161102-122440001

A LANCING resident has been rescued by fire crews after falling asleep while cooking at a flat in Lancing last night.

Fire crews were called at five to midnight to a flat on Pelham Road where a passer-by had seen smoke coming out of the letterbox.

Three appliances attended the scene, where upon entering the flat, the crew found a man asleep.

A cooking pan had been left on where a fire had developed and covered the flat in smoke.

The man was evacuated by fire crew and checked by paramedics, but was not taken to hospital.

The flat was ventilated by staff and a smoke alarm was installed for the resident.

LANCING LAST NIGHT  - LED TO SAFETY PELHAM RD LANCING'Photo by Eddie Mitchell 07771605974 SUS-161102-122452001

LANCING LAST NIGHT - LED TO SAFETY PELHAM RD LANCING'Photo by Eddie Mitchell 07771605974 SUS-161102-122452001

A spokesperson for West Sussex Fire and Rescue said: “The fire was caused by unattended cooking.

“People are under the impression smoke wakes everyone up, and there was no smoke alarm so we recommend everyone has one installed.

“Cooking-related incidents cover more than half of the calls we get in the Sussex area. The person was cooking late at night and fell asleep, so please try and avoid this. If you are hungry, and if you have been drinking, please try to eat something that doesn’t involve the use of a cooking appliance.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.