Flat fire at Worthing pub

The scene at the Southdown pub. Picture by Simon Redhead
The scene at the Southdown pub. Picture by Simon Redhead

PUB-GOERS were evacuated last night (Thursday, February 16) after a candle is believed to have caused a fire in a first-storey flat above a Broadwater pub.

Firefighters were called to the Southdown pub, situated on the corner of King Street and Northcourt Road, at 10.13pm.

Four fire engines attended the incident, and spent two-and-a-half hours putting out the blaze.

No-one was in the flat at the time, however a cat was rescued from the property.

A lit candle is believed to be the cause of the fire, but this has not yet been confirmed.