Flats evacuated as firefighters tackle Worthing shop fire

Crews at the scene of the fire in Railway Approach. Photo by Adrian Willard
Crews at the scene of the fire in Railway Approach. Photo by Adrian Willard

Residents were evacuated from their homes as firefighters battled a fire at a shop in Worthing town centre.

Two crews tackled the blaze which broke out in a four-storey building on the corner of Railway Approach just before 8.20pm last night (September 15).

The 30m by 20m structure is home to a beauty spa with several flats located above and it immediately became filled with smoke.

A spokesman for the fire service said the fire started in a tumble dryer.

Crews - wearing breathing apparatus - used a hose reel, a CO2 extinguisher and a water jet to fight the flames.

A ventilation fan was also used to clear the smoke from the building.

No-one was injured and residents were allowed back into their homes at bout 10.30pm.

The fire is being treated as an accident.