A team of cake bakers have broken the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ title for the World’s Largest Cake Sculpture to raise funds for charity Make-A-Wish.
The epic challenge was undertaken by Fairy supports the annual Bake-A-Wish® fundraising effort by its partner Make-A-Wish, the charity that grants magical wishes to children and young people fighting life-threatening conditions.
The cake was assembled at Westfield Shepherds Bush shopping centre in the North Atrium. To break the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS title for World’s Largest Cake Sculpture the entire cake - which fed 12,000 people – also had to be eaten. Fairy also washed all 12,000 dirty cake plates with just one 870ml bottle of Fairy Original washing up liquid.
The record attempt was launched by actress and presenter Amanda Holden. She cut the first slice of the giant cake sculpture which stands at a gargantuan 12metres x 10metres. For a suggested donation of £1, hungry punters can enjoy a slice of cake with all proceeds going directly to Make-A-Wish.
The record was formerly held by King Abdulaziz International Airport in association with Saadeddin Pastry in Saudi Arabia. Made on 23 September 2013 the cake measured 11.70 metres long by 9.20 metres wide and it was in the shape of the Saudi Arabia map to celebrate Saudi Arabia national day.
GUIDELINES FOR ‘LARGEST CAKE SCULPTURE’
For the purposes of this record, ingredients must include:
THE WORLD’S LARGEST CAKE SCULPTURE IN NUMBERS
The cake has been made and constructed by 45 people and will weigh almost two ton in total, but how does that break down in ingredients?
· It is 12metres x 10metres
· It is a series of 400 smaller cakes that were put together and then iced overnight in Westfield
· The entire cake was constructed overnight in Westfield in six hours
· 520 kg of caster sugar is equal in weight to 2260 Boris bikes
· 520 kg of wheat flour is as heavy as 650 800g loafs of bread
· 8360 eggs which is more than nine hens will lay in a lifetime
· 668 kg of icing sugar which is heavier than a male cow
· 417 kg of Margarine and butter which is almost 2000 times more than used in Mary Berry’s Victoria sandwich recipe
· 13.94 kg of evaporated milk which is heavier than 16 870ml bottles of Fairy Liquid
· 8.5 kg of vanilla essence would fill 85 100ml bottles of Channel No. 5