Man rescued from burning flat

The fire broke out in a kitchen
The fire broke out in a kitchen

FIREFIGHTERS rescued a man from a block of flats following a kitchen fire last night.

The 40-year-old man had been cooking in his flat’s kitchen, in Rowland’s Road, Worthing, at around 10pm when the fire started.

Two fire engines spent two hours at the scene tackling the blaze.

According to crew commander Mark Upton the situation could have been a lot worse.

Mr Upton said: “Other residents who were not fully aware of the implications, silenced the main fire alarm and tried to reset it but it wouldn’t reset. So there was a delay calling the fire service.”