This week, Gerald Illsley, from the Rotary Club of Worthing Steyne, is urging everyone to collect their ring-pulls.
With four weeks to go to the Adur Sea of Light event at Lancing, our club members are getting ready to join other volunteers on the day to help and marshal along the procession route and enjoy the fun of a special family event.
And our links with Lancing contacts include the chair of Lancing Parish Council, councillor James Butcher, as an associate member.
James was one of our guests at a club meeting earlier this month.
Club President Sue Virgo, from Rotary West Worthing, was also there, working together with ideas and plans to support local organisations.
One idea is now underway: collecting ring-pulls.
It’s not a new Rotary sport or something to keep us quiet over the winter, but it is a simple, effort-free way which, on this occasion, will to help an international cause.
Last month tropical storm Fung-Wong hit the coast of the Philippines and South China.
Almost a month’s rain fell on the Philippines capital Manila in less than 24 hours.
In a country of over 7,000 islands, and subject an average of 20 major storms a year, the country is used to wet conditions.
But following the devastation from Typhoon Haiyan in 2013, this latest flooding and related landslides are again causing more destruction in an area trying hard to recover.
Not sure how ring-pulls help against flooding?
Via the Philippine Community Fund, the ring-pulls from any food or drink cans are used to make jewellery and accessories for sale to raise money for direct help to the islanders.
So as a group, a family, a school, as friends or a team, if you would like to help in a simple, quick and effective way, get eating and drinking then send your ring-pulls to us over the next few weeks please.
We will keep a count to get be the highest donations and let you know the score.
Every little ring helps!
Why not come along and meet us at the Ardington Hotel in Worthing on a Monday evening to learn more about our club and Rotary.
You will be very welcome.
Please phone ahead on 07788 638757 to let us know when you will be coming along.
Details of Worthing’s three Rotary clubs are:
• Worthing Rotary Club meets Monday, 12.55pm, at the Chatsworth Hotel, in The Steyne, Worthing, 01903 262222.
• West Worthing Rotary Club meets Tuesday evening at Tudor Close, Ferring, 01903 501961.
• Worthing Steyne Rotary Club meets Monday evening at The Ardington Hotel, in Steyne Gardens, Worthing, 01903 234957.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.worthingherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Worthing.news
3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Worthing Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.