This week, Gerald Illsley, from the Rotary Club of Worthing Steyne, gives an update on the latest and future goings-on.
This year’s Three Forts Challenge, the run between Cissbury Ring, Chanctonbury Ring and Devil’s Dyke on May Day, was another great event.
672 runners tackled the courses with 358 finishing the full marathon to Devil’s Dyke and 314 completing the half-marathon course – a great performance by all competitors.
It was a friendly event on a sunny, dry day and Rotarians were there to help organisers during the day to register and steward this year’s runners, with some stewards having their own special ways to greet runners with a smile and direct them around the courses.
Well done everybody.
See www.threefortschallenge.org.uk for more information.
It was good to read that last month Rotary Ambassador Katie DeRosa, from Canada, sponsored by the Rotary Club Oak Bay, Vancouver Island, visited our sister club, Rotary Club of West Worthing, to spread more good old Worthing hospitality.
We are still supporting schemes to beat cancer – one will be the Rotary Bike Ride on Father’s Day to raise funds to beat prostate cancer.
Another, a bit more demanding, will be the Mount Kilimanjaro trek in November, when you can join World Child Cancer for their incredible journey to the summit of one of the world’s greatest mountains.
It’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
The trek is open for all ages and is perfect for anyone looking to challenge themselves while helping a good cause.
World Child Cancer was established in 2007, with the mission of improving cancer diagnosis, treatment and care for children in the developing world.
Over 200,000 children are diagnosed with cancer each year, with 80 per cent of those living in low or middle income countries.
Your participation can make a huge difference.
To find out more, visit the World Child Cancer website – www.worldchildcancer.org
Rotary is always up to something, locally, nationally or further afield.
If you would like more information and join in some of our activities, please come along to our HQ at the Ardington Hotel, Worthing, on a Monday evening.
Please give us a call on 07788 638757 if you will be coming along.
Details of Worthing’s three Rotary clubs are:
• Worthing Rotary Club meets Monday, 12.55pm, at the Chatsworth Hotel, in The Steyne, Worthing, 01903 262222.
• West Worthing Rotary Club meets Tuesday evening at Tudor Close, Ferring, 01903 501961.
• Worthing Steyne Rotary Club meets Monday evening at The Ardington Hotel, in Steyne Gardens, Worthing, 01903 234957.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.worthingherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Worthing.news
3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Worthing Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.