This week, Gerald Illsley, from the Rotary Club of Worthing Steyne, gives an update on the latest and future goings-on.
Here she is, all in pink, the Rotary’s own carnival star, the chair, Sue Worthington, ready to start the 2016 Worthing Rotary Carnival with its circus theme.
This year’s two-day event had Steyne Gardens filled with attractions and lots of visitors to see our circus acts, unicycles, dog show, classic cars, funfair attractions and lots of different stalls.
A lovely sunny day on Bank Holiday Monday also attracted a very large crowd for the carnival parade with 28 attractions, floats, dancing troupes, samba band, old cars and limousines, accompanied by town crier Bob Smytherman, our mayor Sean McDonald, Sir Peter Bottomley MP and his wife Virginia, youth mayor David Price and his deputy Joshua Davies.
Sadly we had a delay when one of the ladies in the crowd fell and had an accident.
We all hope she is feeling better and thank you to the crowd for waiting patiently for the second part of the parade.
Every year the three Rotary Clubs in Worthing join together to put on the annual carnival. Our themes have varied in the past few years.
This year, with our live circus on both days, had a village fair feel, and some fantastic music acts later on each afternoon seemed just right for lots of people.
Not sure what the theme will be next year, but we are always keen for new ideas.
Why not come along and tell us about your ideas? Rotary Club of Worthing Steyne meet on Mondays (call 07788 638757) or pop into one of the other Rotary Clubs in the town. We will all be pleased to see you and hear from you.
Details of Worthing’s three Rotary clubs are:
• Worthing Rotary Club meets Monday, 12.55pm, at the Chatsworth Hotel, in The Steyne, Worthing, 01903 209564.
• West Worthing Rotary Club meets Tuesday evening at Tudor Close, Ferring, 01903 501961.
• Worthing Steyne Rotary Club meets Monday evening at The Ardington Hotel, in Steyne Gardens, Worthing, 01903 234957.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.worthingherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Worthing.news
3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Worthing Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.