TIM DREW: A third of people ‘could help prevent crime’

editorial image

THIS week’s column features some excerpts from recent Neighbourhood Watch research papers.

They highlight aspects of the relationship between Neighbourhood Watch and the police, and a few other findings besides, which are included below:

In total, 66 per cent of the public feel that they could help in tackling or preventing crime; 29 per cent would feel encouraged in so doing if they had more information about how to get involved; 19 per cent want more schemes in which to get involved; and 17 per cent simply want to be approached.

Some 60 per cent of adults already engage with the police and crime prevention via the use of crime maps, the 101 non-emergency number, Neighbourhood Watch and/or attending police surgeries or Neighbourhood Panels – but that leaves as many as 40 per cent who do not.

Those using Secured by Design products and materials are half as likely to be burgled, with a 25 per cent reduction in criminal damage.

The percentage among those who chat to their neighbours at least once a month fell from 80 per cent during 2012/13 to 74 per cent in 2013/4 among women and from 80 per cent to 77 per cent among men.

Based on pilot schemes launched by the Greater Manchester Police, “Super Cocooning” reduces burglaries by 27 per cent in the first year and by 42 per cent in high risk areas.

The cost of cyber crime to the UK is conservatively estimated at around £27 billion per year.

The cost to UK citizens is estimated at £3.1 billion per year, mainly resulting from identity theft and online fraud.

Vehicle crime fell by 71 per cent across England and Wales between 2001 and 2013, due to crime being designed out by using central locking, immobilisers, tracking devices and alarms.

The Heene Neighbourhood Panel will meet at Heene Community Centre, Heene Road, on Tuesday, January 20, between 7pm and 8pm.

PCSO Catherine Dines hosts her surgery at Buddy’s Café, 121 South Farm Road, on Thursday, January 22, between noon and 1pm.