CELEBRATIONS for the Queen’s diamond jubilee will go ahead at a Worthing café after a decision not to grant it a temporary event licence was overturned.
Coast Café, on Beach Road, Worthing, had originally applied to Worthing Borough Council for a licence to hold a late-night event on June 4 to mark the jubilee, along with two other late-night ventures later in the summer.
But at a meeting of the council’s licensing committee last month, the applications were turned down after the police objected to them.
During the meeting, it was heard there had been a mass brawl outside the premises on April 7, and police were concerned it did not have sufficient equipment to control a late-night function.
After the meeting, however, owner Stefan Sykes revised his plans and police have now agreed evening events at the venue can go ahead.
He said: “I’m thrilled this can go ahead now. When the application was originally turned down, it was unfortunate timing, as I hadn’t even had the chance to talk to police about the plans, and they had no choice but to object to them.
“The next day, I had a lengthy meeting with them, and I changed how we are going to manage the event; I’ve had CCTV installed and it will end at 11pm, which is earlier than we had planned.”
A spokeswoman from the police said: “The original application by Mr Sykes for three temporary events was originally refused after police made objections to the Worthing Licensing Committee following a number of serious assaults at the premises.
“Mr Sykes has re-submitted applications to hold events on June 4 and 23 and Sussex Police are satisfied that safety measures, including the employment of door staff, have now been properly implemented.”
On Monday, June 4, from 1-8pm, the café will host a family fun day, featuring local bands, a barbecue and a mini beer festival.
Then, from 8-11pm, there will be a 10ft projector screen put up to show the jubilee concert, live from Buckingham Palace.
For more information, contact the café on 01903 216937.