Speeding motorcyclist jailed for two years following 100mph pursuit

A motorcyclist who narrowly avoided colliding with pedestrians and other vehicles during a high speed pursuit across Sussex has been jailed.

Friday, 17th June 2016, 6:16 pm
Updated Friday, 8th June 2018, 2:59 am
Gavin Collett outside Lewes Crown Court earlier today. Eddie Mitchell

Gavin Collett carried out a series of dangerous manoeuvres at various locations, including built-up parts of Worthing and Brighton, on March 10.

On several occasions he went straight through red lights while pedestrians were crossing, mounted pavements, travelled in the face of oncoming traffic and overtook vehicles with little room to do so.

Throughout the pursuit, he consistently travelled at excessive speed and contravened numerous traffic laws across the county, according to Sussex Police.

Gavin Collett outside Lewes Crown Court earlier today. Eddie Mitchell

At Lewes Crown Court today, Collett was sentenced to a total of two years in prison; 18 months for dangerous driving and three months for each of two counts of failing to stop after a road traffic collision.

He received no separate penalty for charges of driving while disqualified and driving with no insurance.

Collett was also disqualified from driving for three years and must remain on licence for at least 12 months on release from prison.

His two-year prison sentence includes time already spent in custody from his arrest on March 13.

PC Ben Henwood, of the Sussex Police Road Policing Unit, who led the investigation, said: “Collett’s sentence is fully deserved, and it represents the massively aggravated nature of his behaviour over an extended period of time.

“We have reviewed the footage and this is without doubt the most outrageous incident of dangerous driving we have ever seen in Sussex.

“Throughout his journey, Collett showed a blatant disregard for anyone else’s safety and it’s a miracle no one else was hurt.

“He went straight across the flow of oncoming traffic at ridiculous speeds, he went through the fully pedestrianised area of Montague Street in Worthing, he mounted pavements to undertake cars when pedestrians were present, and he travelled at breakneck speed between Goring and Ferring when there was no margin for error at all.

“It’s unbelievable how he hasn’t killed himself or anyone else. He’s lucky to be alive.”

According to police, Collett was initially spotted riding in excess of 100mph on the A24 southbound between Broadbridge Heath and Findon at about 2.37pm, before the National Police Air Service (NPAS) helicopter from Redhill was deployed to monitor his movements.

After crashing on the A24 Warren Road, at the junction with Offington Drive, Worthing, at about 3.40pm, Collett then continued without his helmet in the direction of Durrington and Shoreham.

Collett crashed for a second time at the barriers to the Churchill Square car park in Brighton at about 5pm.

From there, he discarded the bike and his leather jacket, and made off on foot.

Officers continued their search in the town centre but were unable to trace him.

Collett eventually handed himself in to police in Hampshire three days later.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.