Toaster left on cooker hob causes fire in Worthing

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service
West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service

Worthing firefighters were called to a flat after a toaster caught fire on a cooker hob.

The incident happened in a second floor flat in Mill Road, Worthing at 4.25pm yesterday (September 10).

A spokesman for the West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said the toaster was mistakenly placed on a cooker hob by an elderly resident.

The fire was out on the arrival of the crew, who ventilated the property and gave advice to the homeowner.

Firefighters left the scene by 5pm.

For more on kitchen safety, click here for advice from West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at

2) Like our Facebook page at

3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Worthing Herald - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.