Flats evacuated as firefighters tackle Worthing shop fire

Residents were evacuated from their homes as firefighters battled a fire at a shop in Worthing town centre.

Sunday, 16th September 2018, 2:08 pm
Updated Sunday, 16th September 2018, 4:53 pm
Crews at the scene of the fire in Railway Approach. Photo by Adrian Willard

Two crews tackled the blaze which broke out in a four-storey building on the corner of Railway Approach just before 8.20pm last night (September 15).

The 30m by 20m structure is home to a beauty spa with several flats located above and it immediately became filled with smoke.

A spokesman for the fire service said the fire started in a tumble dryer.

Crews - wearing breathing apparatus - used a hose reel, a CO2 extinguisher and a water jet to fight the flames.

A ventilation fan was also used to clear the smoke from the building.

No-one was injured and residents were allowed back into their homes at bout 10.30pm.

The fire is being treated as an accident.