Flats evacuated as firefighters tackle Worthing shop fire
Residents were evacuated from their homes as firefighters battled a fire at a shop in Worthing town centre.
Two crews tackled the blaze which broke out in a four-storey building on the corner of Railway Approach just before 8.20pm last night (September 15).
The 30m by 20m structure is home to a beauty spa with several flats located above and it immediately became filled with smoke.
A spokesman for the fire service said the fire started in a tumble dryer.
Crews - wearing breathing apparatus - used a hose reel, a CO2 extinguisher and a water jet to fight the flames.
A ventilation fan was also used to clear the smoke from the building.
No-one was injured and residents were allowed back into their homes at bout 10.30pm.
The fire is being treated as an accident.