UPDATE: kitchen fire believed to be caused by washing machine

editorial image

A fire that broke out in Navarino Road, Worthing, this morning, started in a downstairs cupboard where the washing machine was kept.

Three crews from Worthing attended after the call came through at 11.12am.

The semi-detached home has three floors and fire damaged 60 per cent of the kitchen and 20 per cent of the first floor.

Six breathing apparatus and three hose reels were used and the positive pressure ventilation van also attended.

There were no reported injuries as the home owners were not present when the fire started.

The fire is thought to have spread quickly because all of the internal doors in the property were open.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue advised people not to leave their washing machines or dishwashers on overnight or when they are not in a property.