FIREFIGHTERS were called to a large barn fire at Church Farm near Lancing today (September 28) after straw overheated.
The fire is believed to have started at about 1.30pm inside 40 tonnes of baled straw, after one of the stacks ignited.
Crew commander John Lainsbury, from Shoreham Fire Station, said: “There were two gas cylinders inside the barn, which were not affected by the fire, so we removed them to make it as safe as possible for firefighters.
“Jets were then used to cool the bale and prevent the fire from spreading to the barn next door.”
Trevor Passmore, owner of the farm in Coombes, said it was the first fire the farm had seen in 50 years.