Fire crews have been called to a fire in a third floor flat in Chapel Road, Worthing.
People from neighbouring business and flats were evacuated on to the pavements outside as police blocked off the road this afternoon (September 1).
Firefighters were called to the scene at 1.09pm to put out the blaze in the kitchen of the flat above the popular Cafe Traditionale.
A spokeswoman for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “The fire is now believed to be out and the area is being damped down and ventilated.
“We have used breathing apparatus and hose reels.
“We have sent two hose reels from Worthing and the aerial ladder platform.”
Crowds gathered around the area to watch the fire fighters at work.
Two guinea pigs were rescued from the flat and are described as being ‘safe and sound’.
A spokesman for the fire service said the fire was accidental.
More to follow.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.worthingherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Worthing.news
3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Worthing Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.