Worthing firefighters warning after cooking fire

Share this article

“DON’T leave your cooking unattended,” this is the message from Worthing firefighters today.

Firefighters from Worthing’s Blue Watch were called to a smoke-logged flat after the owner went out leaving food cooking on the hob.

The crew were called to Clifton Court, in Clifton Road, at 5pm yesterday (Wednesday, April 20) after reports a fire alarm had been set off and smoke was coming from the home.

Watch commander, Darren Wickings, said: “When we arrived the alarm was going and the property was full of smoke.

“We forced entry and it turned out a pan of cooking was on and the owner had gone out.”

He added: “The general message to people is that is you are going to put cooking on do not leave it unattended.”

Luckily there was not much damage to the property and the fire crew managed to ventilate the property.